Usually, an individual needs to seek care from a neurosurgeon if they’re experiencing pain or discomfort in their brain, spine, or other nervous system. A neurosurgeon is a specialist who has experience in diagnosing and treating conditions related to your nervous system. These conditions can be treated either with the help of surgery or using minimally invasive methods. Generally, a patient needs to get in touch with a neurosurgeon if they’re experiencing chronic back pain, neck pain, issues with balancing their body, numbness or pain in certain areas, weakness, frequent headaches, etc.
According to houston center for minimally invasive neurosurgery, plcc, situations where you should go for neurosurgical care are:
- Brain injury: If you have suffered an injury on your head, you may experience pain, headaches, loss of consciousness, etc. In such a situation, it is very essential that you seek medical care immediately. Your neurosurgeon will evaluate and assess your condition and provide you with the necessary treatment on time.
- Tumors in the Brain: If you have developed a tumor in your brain, you will have to get in touch with a neurosurgeon for a proper diagnosis. The neurosurgeon, after proper evaluation and assessment, will determine if your tumor can be removed with the help of surgery or can be treated with the use of medicines.
- Compression in your spinal cord: Many individuals may suffer from certain spinal cord conditions such as herniated discs, spinal stenosis, tumors in the spine, etc. These issues can lead to improper functioning of the spinal cord and can compress it further. Here, immediate intervention is required to decompress your spinal cord and release the pressure.
- Epilepsy: People who suffer from frequent epilepsy episodes, must seek neurological care at the earliest. Moreover, there are certain types of epilepsy that are resistant to medicines, and in such a situation, neurosurgery may be the only option to treat the cause.
- Peripheral nerve conditions: Certain conditions, such as carpal tunnel syndrome, peripheral nerve tumor, etc., may also require the attention of a neurosurgeon who will examine the condition and begin with the treatment process.
Hence, it is important to note that if you are suffering from any of the above conditions, ensure that you immediately consult a qualified healthcare professional, especially a neurosurgeon. He will assess your condition and examine the cause of it. However, neurosurgery is not just a complex subject but also a sensitive matter, and therefore, you must consult only an experienced and well-qualified medical expert.